Picnic ideas are useful whatever the weather.
It doesn’t matter you’ve decided to spend an autumn afternoon in the park. Maybe you’re planning to soak up some late sun at the beach. Perhaps you’re off for a hike through the woods. Nothing makes a day more special than bringing along your own handmade picnic.
But how can you make a healthy picnic, on a budget? More importantly how can you make it appealing to adults and children alike?
Here are our 10 top ideas for healthy picnic ideas that will go down a treat with your friends and family
You can also save a few pounds at the same time…
- Get Your Daily Dose of Fruit with Yogurt-Coated Strawberries with our picnic ideas
- Chocolate-coated strawberries are almost always a picnic hit. For a healthy twist, why not coat your strawberries in delicious vanilla yogurt? Simply dip the fruit in yogurt and freeze for a couple of hours for a delectable picnic treat.
- Wow Your Guests with a Homemade Fruit Roll-Ups – another great picnic idea
- Fruit roll-ups are a delicious treat for children and adults. However, the store-bought varieties are often expensive and packed with sugar. For a healthier alternative, you can create your own fruity roll-ups in the oven. Check out an easy-to-follow 3-ingredient recipe, here.
- Pack in the Veggies with a Hummus Dip
- It can be far too tempting to pack-up a picnic with pre-packaged snacks. Yet with a container of hummus and plenty of veggie sticks, you can avoid those expensive packaged treats with ease. Include a range of vegetables, like carrots, celery, and peppers so there’s a little something for everyone. It’s good not to leave what you eat to chance either; plan ahead.
- Heat up Your Picnic Ideas with Individual Soup Thermoses
- There’s no rule saying that a picnic has to be cold! Individual soup thermoses can provide a wonderful hot lunch that caters to different tastes. It’sthe perfect option for a healthy autumn picnic.
- Revolutionise the Soggy Picnic Sandwich with Pitta Bread
- Nobody likes a soggy sandwich. But sadly it’s a common in the humble picnic. Revolutionise your picnic sandwich by going for a fill-your-own pitta option. This is where everyone can pile their favourites into a pitta pocket during the picnic.
- Keep Things Light with a Homemade Salad
- Pasta salad, ham salad, fruit salad, there are a thousand and one directions that you can go in when creating a salad. Did we also forget to mention they’re incredibly healthy and budget-friendly?! For a light picnic lunch, it’s difficult to go wrong with a family-sized salad.
- Banish the Heat with a Cool Summer Smoothie
- Fruit smoothies are a great vessel to get your 5-a-day. And they’re very filling. Prepare a few smoothies in advance, and store them in the freezer. This will make sure that they’re beautifully chilled when you’re ready to tuck into them.
- Go off the Trail with Your Own Trail-Mix
- As a snack for on the go, or for a sit-down picnic, trail-mix is a great healthy option for the whole family. You can make your own trail-mix at home and even bulk it out with popcorn for a filling and nutritious snack.
- Boost Your Energy with Homemade Energy Bars
- Many energy bars on the supermarket shelves are packed with sugar. But there are plenty of energy bar recipes out there that are low in sugar and packed full of goodness!
- Save Time with a Picnic Free-For-All
- Preparing a picnic can be time-consuming. So, for a quick and healthy picnic on a budget, why not pack up a selection of fruits, vegetables, and crackers/bread sticks? You can enjoy tucking into the feast with a selection of dips. You might even provide sweet dips for fruit with yogurt, peanut butter, or fruit coulis.
A healthy picnic doesn’t have to be a bland picnic or break the bank. By using our ideas as inspiration, you can pull off a picnic that everyone will love!